Can't Find What You're Looking For? Try Searching!

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Chapter 12: Is This My Home?

Sooner than I expected, we arrived at a park. I closed my eyes to the soothing burble of a river nearby. The carriage creaked to a stop, and we all slid open the doors and jumped out. At last I could go fishing! Felicia followed me to the river with the same intentions. I peered through the glossy river water. Then, a large, fat fish came floundering past. I slashed with my paw, only to rediscover for the millionth time that they could not spear the fish. Felicia dove after me, and flicked it onto the shore. My mouth watered at the prospect of eating it for dinner. "Hey Pounce! You better give me that area of the stream!" called Crackers, feigning aggression. I grinned. "Never!" I batted her. She responded with a surprise back hit. Down came my own paw. I had a better position, and soon wrestled her out of my way. I watched the surface of the water once more, until a tuna fish passed in front of me. With a jab of my spear, I pinned it to the mud at the bottom. With a quick motion, I flicked the fish behind me and tugged the skin off with a satisfying 'zzzip.' The shiny silver skin peeled off, leaving succulent red meat.
29 Cats Who Failed So Hard They Won
I skewered it and started a fire. At the sight of a flame, everyone came running. I tossed sticks into the fire, until we had a bright orange bonfire, leaping in the air. We all formed a circle, and held our fish in front of the fire to roast. I stared into the faces of my friends, illuminated in the orange glow, looks of love and trust on their faces. It was then that I realized how important they were to me. At that moment, I felt as if I belonged here more than anywhere else, that there was no better place for me to be but here. I loved everyone deeply, and knew I would never be able to part with them. However, I still was not sure if I could call the Flying Felinis my home. Although I loved my friends, and there was no turning back...is this more of a home to me than with the humans? If Sunny had not hitchhiked, she would have been left behind with them - and I needed Sunny; I would not be the same without her. She was part of the other home. I have a place to live now, but can I call it a home? I am not sure, and would not be sure for a while - but momentarily, I felt like home is here.
I would do anything to protect my friends, and I am sure they feel the same. This journey would be fraught with many more perils to come. Then, I was suddenly overcome by a feeling of determination. We would reach the rainforest, and would not let anything impede our way. I knew we were capable, as long as we never give up hope. "We can do it!" I cried. "We will reach the championships and succeed!" We clashed paws, and came up with our secret handshake. "We are united," Felicia whispered. We all stared in each other's eyes and pledged to be united, forever. "Dangers may separate us physically, but we will always be together inside." We raised our paws solemnly and saluted. Then, we returned to the fire. I turned over my fish and engaged in conversation with Crackers. I chomped into the juicy, scrumptious piece of tuna, savoring every molecule of every wonderful succulent bite. Raw fish had been a rare delicacy since I had been domesticated. Sunny enjoyed it too. I yawned, full of a meal of love, kindness, and fish. I closed my eyes in delight and stretched out to gaze at the stars.

"Hooo!" The lonely hoot of an owl pierced the air, sending chills down my spine. I retired back to my branch shelter, shielded by weed bushes. I shuddered at what beasts may be lurking outside, lying in wait. One could be subject to an attack at any time, at any place. No matter how I tried, I could not sleep. I tossed and turned in my scratchy sleeping bag. At least Sunny, who was fast asleep, was not plagued with these worries. Rustle. I heard a suspicious noise. In panic, I cleared my belongings and covered the snoring Sunny. I stood at the entrance, ready to defend whatever may be approaching. Waves of panic stabbed my heart. Then, to my surprise and unexpected relief, Felicia walked in. "I didn't mean to scare you. I knew you were awake, and for the same reason as me." For a moment I was stunned. Felicia was scared? "I know. Everyone gets scared sometimes." Felicia sat next to me and began showing me some small items she collected along the way. I showed her my travel journal, and she read my accounts. "This is good information for a biography of us. Someday we'll be famous, Pounce. I promise," she said wistfully. "I promise, Felicia. Now, if you're here, we might as well swat each other." The last time I had a swatting match with Felicia was before we left, and she was much better than me. This time, we were closely matched, but she still ended up on top of me. "E-ee-e-e!" something called outside. "Felicia, w-will you sleep with me? I'm sorry, but I just...felt lonely tonight." "Of course, Pounce. I feel the same." She crawled into my sleeping bag, and we fell asleep together, paws interlocked. It was one of the most comforting sensations I ever felt. However, I had a good reason to be so afraid.
29 Cats Who Failed So Hard They Won

What will Pounce's reason to be afraid turn out to be? Find out in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment