Can't Find What You're Looking For? Try Searching!

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Cat Adventures Chapter 13: Unexpected Danger









At the break of dawn, I heard a loud "Phweet!" Felicia was already awake! It was time to wake up and set off. I placed Sunny on my shoulder, rolled up my sleeping bag, and eagerly walked towards Felicia, who was reloading the caravan. "Boo!" "You didn't scare me! I knew you were coming!" Felicia brushed my head and laughed. At this time, the others trotted towards the vehicle, their rates of walking determining how much they had slept. With no time for breakfast, we boarded the train. We were somewhat behind after the mall confusion. So we settled in to the normal daily routine. I played with Sunny, and dreamed of the rainforest with Crackers. I relaxed for a while, chatting leisurely with Crackers, Crumbles, and Pammy. Little did we know of the impending near disaster. The sky was slate grey, with an impenetrable sheet of clouds. We were positioned near the window when I felt a drop of water. "Get the lanterns, I've got to close the window." Crumbles returned with not only the lanterns, but a pile of blankets. Our eyes all lit up, and we built a snug blanket fort. It was wonderfully cozy, as we sat in the warmth of the lights and the heat of the blankets, discussing our favorite subjects - acrobatics and mischief. Often the walls of the tent reverberated with laughter (and the curious nose of Sunny).

A few delightful hours passed of this, until we were all too tired to say another word. Then, I woke up to a loud "Crash!" that shook the wagon and caused the tent to collapse on us. Crackers screamed, and then we all broke into peals of laughter. Then, our laughter was suddenly stopped with an even louder crash that sounded like a dresser piled with glass vases had toppled. I peered outside. The sky was turning an ominous black color, nearly as black as Pammy's fur. A dark, eerie shadow cast a spell over the forest, making it look as if it was swallowing us up. "Beep, beep, beep!" I was not imagining the sound. It was the weather alarm - the very one I had laughed at Isabella for taking..."You worry too much, Isabella. That thing is ridiculous." The memory of my words echoed in my mind. This was no joking matter now. I fished out the old radio, an dust-coated antenna extending as long as my tail. A muffled voice, jarred by the crackle and pop of static, was saying, "We are expecting severe storm of 60 mph wind, battering rain, and 90% chance of golfball-sized hail. We strictly advise that no one drives. If you are on the road, pull over. Stay tuned for more information." My heart pounded. This rickety old caravan could not stand a storm. Hopefully the weather forecaster was dramatically wrong. He was not.
This would be way worse than I imagined. What if there was a tornado? What if we were blown off a cliff, and...stop. I told myself. I tried to calm myself down, but the negative thoughts tore down my efforts. I shivered, hoping this storm would not last long. "Heeee!" The wind howled and screeched. The trees bent, cracking under the wind. Leaves and branches were hurled to the ground. "Lock everything!" screamed Felicia. "Prepare emergency food!" I twisted the bolts in the windows. The wind threw itself against the flimsy wooden walls and tossed me and Sunny to the ceiling and down with a bone-shattering thunk. The caravan creaked and swayed. What if the roof was blown off? My head was throbbing from being rolled by the tremors. "Everyone! Hurry into the Emergency Quarters!" I could barely hear Felicia over the howling, swooshing wind. Then, as I was running to the Quarters, I noticed an open window. I tried closing it, but the wind began dragging my rear claws against the floor. Then, it swept me out of the window, and into the heart of the tempest. "Pounce!" I heard someone's voice spiraling off with the wind. I pushed against the wind and flailed. Then, I was thrown to the ground. There was a one out of a thousand chance I would survive, much less be found. but one in a thousand was a chance.
I would not give up just yet. I tried to follow the hazy brown shape rolling along that was the caravan. The rain formed a shield against my face, stinging my eyes. My fur gripped my bare skin, trying to force me down. I wouldn't be overcome. I shut my eyes, and grappled my way. The wind screamed its long, chilling note. With each blast of the wind, some of my hopes blew away. I had lost everything - almost. I might not have a place in the championships because of this, but I knew I always had a place in the Flying Felinis' hearts. That was my only weapon against the storm. Wind pushed me over. I struggled to resist. I was frozen. My bones clacked and shivered, jaw bouncing up and down. I began to weep in frustration and sadness. I had been gone an hour, and the storm showed no sign of abating. Just yesterday I had felt so comfortable and at home. Now I was not sure if I made the right decision. I was reminded of the myriads of risks on this journey, and the promised safety of the house. Although I was restricted, I was safe. But is guaranteed freedom more important to me than guaranteed safety?

The rain smashed me flat and I huddled into a tight ball. Then, I felt something brush my back. "Pounce?" I raised my head, and found myself staring into the eyes of Felicia, warm with compassion and happiness. "You really risked venturing into the storm to find me?" Even in the horrible tempest and battering rain, I reached up to hug Felicia. "I'm your friend, Pounce. I love you." We latched paws and began hobbling back to the caravan. Then, the wind stopped. But the storm was not over. A cold pellet dropped on my limp body. Hailstones began falling, nailing us to the ground. "Come," whispered Felicia. "I-can't," I grunted in a faint whisper. The hail hammered on me. Each hailstone stamped out a fraction of my energy. Felicia, too collapsed beside me. I thought of how brave and caring she was to rescue me when she was safe and cozy inside. "Thank you, Felicia." I murmured with a final gasp of breath. Icy water rolled off my forehead, and ice cubes blotted out my world. I was with Felicia. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply. Then, I felt Felicia hoist me onto her back and trudge forward. I tried to help a little, but my limbs were too heavy and weak. Just then, the storm stopped as suddenly as it had started.

 My stomach was roaring. "I'll go find food." I plodded off, searching for something easy. Old logs are often home to food. A strong scent of centipede streamed from it. I crept up, slithering on my stomach. When I opened the rotting wood, I found it full with a tangled mass of centipedes. I scooped up the squirming mass of myriopods. Felicia and I wolfed them down, and trudged off towards the caravan. Branches spotted the once unbroken green fields. Puddles were everywhere, and meadows were transformed into marshes. It should be around here somewhere. We walked on a seemingly endless, winding path, taking turns supporting each other. Then, I sucked in my breath...there was the wagon, knocked over. The others were nowehere to be seen. Then I spotted them, under the upturned cart. "Pounce! Felicia! You're safe! We never thought you would return." Isabella wrapped me in a warm towel and rubbed me warm. As Felicia and I rested, exhausted, I watched as the rest of us strung vines around the carriage and pulled. With a few straining tugs, the caravan was back on its wheels, although the inside was probably destroyed. I glanced at my reflection in a puddle. My fur was soiled and matted. Understanding my expression, Felicia ruffled my fur with a towel and combed it with her teeth. "Your mats are out now." Indeed, my fur was sleek and almost shiny.

The sun was peeking from behind the grey clouds. Then, a thought struck me. Where was Sunny? I scoured the ground underneath the wagon, with no results. She could easily be swept away in the wind. "Sunny!" My voice cracked, hoarse with terror.

Will Pounce find Sunny, unharmed? Find out in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment