Can't Find What You're Looking For? Try Searching!

Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Acrobatics Competition

       
 Crackers led me out of a dense thicket of trees, leaping over logs and small puddles. Finally, the forest came to an abrupt stop, and the tops of buildings were barely visible on the horizon. We dashed over as fast as our legs could carry us, until we arrived in the bustling streets, out of breath. We had happened to stumble into a restaurant. As I regained my breath, I overheard a snatch of someone ordering: "The giant grilled salmon, please." My mouth watered as I thought of the succulent steaming salmon. I dragged Crackers towards that table, licking my mouth in eager anticipation. "What are we waiting for? This way!" Crackers beckoned me towards the self-serve yogurt shop.

 I reached up, trying to grab the start lever. I braced my back legs, ready to leap. Then, my paws slammed down on the start lever. Out burst thick ribbons of mango frozen yogurt. Next, I repeated this process with the coconut, pineapple, and strawberry. We sneaked out of a back door and lapped up the contents of our overflowing containers. Once I had frozen my jaws shut, we headed back to the restaurant, where the server was just laying out platters of sizzling pink salmon. One platter was placed right before my nose! Quickly, I snatched the piece of salmon, and threw it down to Crackers, who eyed it greedily. We scampered into the bushes, where we playfully squabbled over it. I stared at the shop across from me. Those pillows in the windows appeared so inviting and fluffy -- the perfect bed! I found a particularly large black pillow and settled on it blissfully, turning it into a buff pillow. I woke up to a loud crash. 

Crackers stared up at me, guiltily, a shattered vase at her feet. "Crackers!" I tried to sound as harsh as possible, but the giggle in my voice escaped. I, too knew how hard it was to keep out of mischief. Then, I grew aware of the imminent danger. Footsteps pounded on the floor, approaching. "Quick!", I whispered. "Hey! Get back here!", someone shouted. Crackers flew out, an ironed, white sheet billowing out behind her. People stared, gaping wide-eyed. "Where on Earth did you get that thing?", Felicia asked. "I'll give it back. But not before we do a routine with it!" With that, everyone came running. We had great fun, hiding under it and using it like a parachute. I excelled particularly in riding that 'parachute'. After an afternoon full of surprise pouncing from under the sheet, the sun began to sink behind the clouds. "Come on, Crackers. We must return it. The manager will be gone." Reluctantly, we trudged to the shop. Immediately, I heard the sound of vacuuming and closing cabinets. The manager was still here. I decided to reveal my identity. Sheet in mouth, I leapt to the counter and thrust it towards the manager. 

"You are the thief? Just a mischievous cat? Keep your sheet. You don't have to pay. I can't sell this.", she said disapprovingly, scrutinizing the muddy paw prints. We returned, secretly delighted about our new routine. The next morning, I was rudely shaken awake. "The qualifying match is today!" "It's not even light out.", I groaned while slowly rising. "You are performing as the star! You've been practicing for months, now. I know you can do it." Felicia led me to a door barely wide enough for me to fit through. In the room, boxes of costumes littered the floor. In one corner, there were piles of claw polish, eyeshadow, fur enhancing mousse, and whisker extensions. Felicia launched herself into a box labeled 'Jackets' so that only her tail was sticking up. She tossed a jacket covered in dazzling, sparkling, prismatic beads. "Mine?", I hesitantly faltered forth. "Of course." I stepped into my brilliant costume and admired my reflection.

 "Pounce!" Pammy approached me, makeup in hand. I sat before her for hours, barely tolerating my whiskers being blackened, my eyes outlined in a smoky purple powder, and glitter sprinkled over my face. I gazed at myself. I looked spectacular! I had only been her for two months, but, before my arrival, the Flying Felinis had been practicing for years. I could not disappoint them. I pictured myself at the championships, performing the final 7-foot-high leap. "And in first place... our champion, Pounce!"  A sharp tug on my tail jerked me out of my daydream. "Time to paint our banner!", Isabella snapped. I drenched my paw in purple glitter paint and began to paint the embellishments. Isabella earned the role of painting the letters, due to her flawless calligraphy. In shining gold letters, she painted: "The Fabulous Flying Felinis Performing LIVE Tonight!" 

"Haha, Pounce! Watch out!" A gob of green paint landed with a splat on my head. In response, I loaded my brush and catapulted paint straight at Crackers' ear. After some black paint hit me right where my exquisite makeup was stenciled around my eye, I picked up the whole, full paint can and hurled it at Crackers. She was covered in paint. "Crackers started it!", I choked through the paint. I groaned and growled in dismay when I learned I needed to be bathed, with makeup re-applied. After waiting for an eternity, we were ready to leave. Once we arrived, the pervasive smell of succulent spider sausages caused avalanches in my stomach. I lingered behind, staring longingly at the roller coaster and cable car. I was jerked away. "We'll have fun later." After a great deal of inquiries, we were led to a huge stage, with all sorts of props --- even a fake smoke machine! Flashing lights proclaimed, "Flying Felinis!" 

I gazed at the pulleys, trapezes, and leaping launchpad on the ceiling. "Pounce! Go wire up the lights!" I scrambled for a small door in the wall. Orange, yellow, and red cords dangled from the ceiling. A dashboard of unidentified switches faced me. I flipped one switch, which was met by intense coughing fits. "Stop the smoke!", cam shouts from outside. I flipped another. "Help!" That was the wrong switch, too. Finally, I noticed the tag on one of the wires: "Pull for lights." I tugged it. Immediately, a display of vibrant, neon flashing lights appeared. We were almost ready to start. The seats were filled, and the crowd was roaring. Gangs of squirrels peered down from the trees. The pounding music began to start. I posed, and the lights flicked off. I knew how to do this routine. The lights suddenly flashed, and I sprang to action. I leapt headfirst off the starting platform and began plummeting downwards. My head whirled as all memory I had of this act departed from my mind. Spinning, I found myself heading straight for the ground ... and I was nowhere near the trapeze.

Will the Flying Felinis qualify for the competition they have been dreaming of reaching for years? Find out with the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment