Can't Find What You're Looking For? Try Searching!

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Chapter 5: The Solo Dance


"Ready or not, I'm turning the light on", Felicia whispered. My jaws jittered and clacked against each other as I awaited my cue. A blinding flash of light signaled me to pose. Then, the light shone directly on me, emphasizing my sparkling, glittering costume. The crowd cheered wildly. I skittered back and forth along the beam... and flipped 360 degrees in midair, four feet high, landing on two paws. My mind raced and pounded as I tried to remember what came next and avert my thoughts from disaster. Somersault once... and again. Then, I compressed myself flat against the bar and braced myself. Taking a final deep breath, I sprang into the air. If I missed by one centimeter, I would come crashing to the ground.

My paw barely grazed the tip of the dangling, frayed rope. I swayed precariously as I gained a hold. I felt my claws gradually slipping, sliding... I was beginning to fall! Hastily, I spun, and came vaulting back onto the beam. I stuck a single claw into the rubber of the beam, and began to slowly twist. I felt my heart rise to the clouds above as I twirled, and leapt off, back arched, for a second try for the rope. This time, I did not miss. Giving myself an extra pump and thrust, I soared over the stage. I held my breath and squeezed my eyes shut as I braced myself to leap off the rope. My perspiring paws loosened their grip on the rope as I spiraled downwards. Arching my back, I twisted into a full backbend and split my muscles with a flip.
joie de vivre cat jumping dancing

Now was the time for my grand finale. I reared upwards on two paws, and propelled myself forward in the air. Everyone else was hastily setting up an obstacle course of hoops on the ceiling. I zoomed forth, struggling to keep in the air. Placing my paws in front of my head, I used them as a rudder, steering myself through each hoop. At last, I reached the final ring, and landed gloriously on one paw. I beamed down at the audience. Cheers erupted from the crowd. "I've never seen a cat perform as well as you did, in the whole history of our group!" Felicia congratulated me, and even gave me several of her share of treats. "Autograph!" One stray call from the audience pierced the silence, followed by more frantic cries. I signed my name differently on each paper, all of them in an ostentatious manner with great flourishes. 

BAM! Bang bang! I groaned, then screamed. I glanced at the clock. "Can you leave me alone, whoever you are? It's 5:00 in the morning!", I moaned. "If it's not an emergency, go!" I accentuated this last word, but my visitor paid no heed. Felicia whipped open the door. I pulled the blanket over my head. "I'm asleep." In response, Felicia threw my silk blanket into a mud puddle. "We are leaving!", Felicia bellowed. "For what?", I asked, skeptically. "The rainforest!", she yelled even louder. "Stop playing pranks!" I turned my tail to her face. "I'm serious!", she shrieked several times. "We are in the championship!" "Really?", I asked incredulously. I felt as if a wet fish had slapped me in the face-- but in a much more pleasant way. That night, we had a scrumptious feast. I heaped my plate with succulent salmon and mouth-watering palm fronds. I gulped down the mushroom sauce( for which I was scolded). Then, Felicia led me to the place of honor at the table, in the golden throne. 

"For years, we have been waiting for someone to occupy this spot. That someone was to be the best acrobat, and not only the best acrobat in this group, but the best acrobat ever. That best acrobat is you." I gaped, stunned, unable to utter a word. Felicia draped a shimmering gold medal around my neck. Little did I know about the perils that lay ahead of us along our journey. The next day, it was time to go hunting for provisions along our several-month journey. I dragged Crackers along with me... into town.


What mischief will they make in town? Find out with the next chapter-- and how the journey starts---with an unexpected visitor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment